17 Oct 2007
Woah - Dhaangg!
Okay ... so it is raining major league today. I of course have things I needed to do, so I go trapsing off into the wild unknown of this storm that has hunkered itself over KC. As I am going along the rain is coming down harder and harder. I get to my first destination without a problem ... rather wet, but doing good.
I had headed up North to pick up some stuff for folders that we are putting together tonight for the retreat. I leave there and decided to hit I-70 to head back towards my next destination. Lemme just say ... I ain't doin that again with rain like we have right now.
I have a smaller car and with as much rain as was falling, my car kept hydroplaning all over the place. I slowed down to a basic crawl for the highway and my car was still acting a fool. At one point it felt like I might have busted a tire, so I pulled off the highway to investigate ... nothing wrong there. Got back on the highway and it still felt like that ... I guess just the rain and junk on the highway. A little further down they have a section of the hwy completely shut down. A semi-truck jack-knifed in the midde of the hwy, blocking all lanes of traffic. I guess God was slowing everyone down so they wouldn't be there when it happened, cause this guy didn't end up hitting anyone (which for I-70 is a miracle).
I was able to make it home unscathed, but dang was I scared. At one point, my insides were quivering, I was so scared.
My point of advice in all this, if you can avoid it ... stay off the highway!
3:39 - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove
14 Oct 2007
Freak out
I just thought I would share a little something with everyone that just happened tonight.
To start with ... LOL ... I got the bejeebee's scared out of me. My roommate Jill had asked me the other day if I knew who/what had been eating the cat's food. I honestly didn't know ... until tonight!
We were sitting down watching a movie, when Jill heard something outside. ... we crept over to find out what it was, went to turn on the light ... but it wouldn't come on (its one of those motion sensor jobbies) Anyway ... I was like "Let me be the brave one" and open the door. Made sure that Lexie got back ... cause of course by this time she was up in the mix wanting to see to.
About the time that I opened the door, Jill was like ... What if its a raccoon. In my mind, I'm thinking ... surely not. I opened the door and the light of the living room fell on our little visitor ... Yup ... it was a raccoon. I freaked, stammed the door and in the process scared Lexi, who then started crying.
After that we kept the door closed. It didn't even phase the raccoon. He just kept on until the food for the cat was gone. Finally the porch light did come on and we watched him from the inside of the house. I was going to take a picture, but he left before I could get my camera.
It really interested me though, that in the middle of Kansas City, we see wildlife this close. It makes sense though I guess since I am in South KC and we occassionally will see deer. But none the less, it freaked me out. What if I hadn't known anything was out there and just went trapsing out???
Anywho ... that's my current excitment :o)
PS I have my first job interview tomorrow. Its with a temp agency ... but it's a start!
9:13 - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove
13 Oct 2007
Magic in the Air
All I can say is there is magic in the air. Today was substantially a better day than yesterday... It really helps to have good friends to get you through the rough patches in life.
So, today was my birthday and I must say ... it was one of my best ones yet. It was a "party" down kind of day.
I of course had to start out "Responsibly"... I went out to careerbuilder.com early this morning and started looking at jobs that are available, applied to a few. I am still amazed... within about 30 minutes of submitting some resumes, I got a call from one of them ... I have an interview on Monday! YEAH :o) All this before 10 am ... pretty good start to the day if I may say so.
I then went and met up with some of my friends. We went to Nick and Jakes for lunch. Yumm-ooohhh! They are a definate recommendation if you are in Kansas City.... or else where (if they are else where ...don't know) .. any ways ... if you have the chance, go there! I had the most amazing Chicken Pot pie of my life. I know ... you are probably like ... what?? Trust me on this one. Total comfort food. Heaven in a bowl :P The way they did it was they put the CPP filling in a bowl and put mashed potatoes around the edge of the bowl, topped with a piece of baked pastry. Needless to say, it was a LOT of food... I ended up bringing home half of it. OH and to top it off... they let me choose something off the dessert menu for my special treat. I chose Carrot cake which looked very good. Let me tell ya ...Cheesecake factory ain't got nothin' on that. OMG! I shared it with the girls and I still have a good chunk of it left :o) Lunch tomorrow!!
And it doesn't even stop there! This evening I got a chance to have dinner with a good friend from college. We have been best friends until the last few years ... she had a kid and with all that, we haven't been quite as close. But all that aside, we are getting back on track with a great friendship again. She decided to take me out to a really nice dinner. It was great getting to spend time with her and get to catch up more. We went to this place called MelBee's. Very nice, upscale restaurant. Definatly not the kind of place you go to often. Everything was awesome ... the food, the service, the music. They had live entertainment. It was a piano player and a singer. They would alternate between just a piano played piece and one that was sung. "Its a Wonderful Life" is one of my all time fav songs and she sang it tonight :o) For dinner it was a four-course production complete with "wine matching" Which is where they match a wine with the type of dish that you have. Some of the wines were pretty good ... some I could have definatly done without.
All in all, today was the most amazing day ever. I feel so totally blessed and am really reminded just how much my friends really mean to me. I am really thankful for each and every person in my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment